Speciality Food Products Protection (PDO, PGI)
Kiwa PAI is pleased to be the appointed inspection body for a range of UK-based regional products under the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) or Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) legislation.
Since the early 1990s, the EU has been working to protect the regional economies of Europe and their speciality food products, which were being subject to increasing imitation. The classic long-standing example is of course Champagne.
The resulting legislation established firmer, more predictable income for the producers and for the rural economy as a whole.
The food categories that may seek protection are: cheeses, fresh meat (including offal), meat based products, oils and fats, bread pastry and cakes, mineral waters, fresh fish and molluscs, olives, fruit vegetables and cereals, and other animal-derived products such as eggs, honey, milk etc, ciders and beers.
Benefits of PDO/PGI under EU Regulations
- Free EU legal protection of what amounts to a trademark. This alone can be worth tens of thousands of pounds.
- Identification of a product's special features. This in turn creates awareness of the U.S.P. for marketing.
- Branding – the quality image for everything else. Built-in third party verification for use as a marketing tool.
- Premium price for a premium product. Move away from producing a simple commodity.
- Create a base for integrated marketing with all the related enterprises of that region, wines, foods, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants, transport and so on.
- In the long run, decrease reliance on government subsidies.
A survey for the EU shows that over 700 UK Food Products would qualify for this protection - and thus benefit from it. DEFRA's Agrifood Exports and Regional Food Promotion division deals with applications and will give advice on the requirements. This department can be emailed or called on 0171 238 6623. Alternatively, Kiwa PAI is happy to assist.
For a quick, competitive quotation please email or call us using the contact details to the right. If you would like to apply for the scheme, please complete the PDO or PGI Application Form (pdf versions on the right under Useful Docs; or select Word (doc) versions from this list).
Who is this for?
European producers of cheeses, fresh meat (including offal), meat based products, oils and fats, bread pastry and cakes, mineral waters, fresh fish and molluscs, olives, fruit vegetables and cereals, and other animal-derived products such as eggs, honey, milk etc, ciders and beers.
Kiwa PAI is pleased to be the appointed inspection body for PDO and PGI.