Carbon Verification for Aviation Operators
We offer accredited verification of greenhouse gas emissions to enable aviation operators to comply with the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS).
c:sense verification, our formal UKAS accredited verification service, is a niche product for stationary installation and aviation operators requiring their EU ETS emissions reports to be verified.
Why have your emissions data verified?
- It's the law - If your business falls within the EU ETS net, then you are legally obliged to have your emissions data verified.
- Trading - To be allowed to sell your surplus CO2 allowance, your emissions data has to be verified by an accredited verifier like csense.
- Risk Management - Even if you do not wish to trade, external verification gives assurance that your data is correct, and gives protection should you be audited.
- Image - Your shareholders, employees, customers and the public will see that your commitment to energy reductions is real. It can form part of your environmental or energy plan reports, and help when seeking accreditation.
- Saving money - Verification will help identify measures for energy saving, environmental gains and/or process improvements offering tangible benefits.
When is this needed?
Aviation operators who fly into our out of the EU are required to hold monitoring plans and submit their verified annual emissions reports by 31st March each year.
We recommend that operators contract a verifier well in advance of the reporting deadline, and preferably in Quarter 4 of the reporting year. This ensures there is adequate time to complete the compliance and data audits, and highlight any deficiencies.
What to do next
Although ever conscious of the need to adapt the verification process to fit in with our clients specific business needs, there are a number of key milestones along the road to successful verification that are worth mentioning:
- Pre-Verification Discussion
This may be a mixture of site visit (for larger emitters), telephone call or exchange of emails, the object of which is to define the specific needs of your business in order to provide a competitive proposal and appropriate action plan.
- Strategic Review
Operator supplies “evidence pack” to c:sense. For a fixed EU ETS site this might typically comprise monitoring and reporting (M&R) plans, permit, site plan, metering details and calibration certificates, energy records and emissions summary to date.
- Compliance Audit
Verifier visits site to conduct compliance audit according to the approved M&R Plans and permit.
- Final Data Verification
Operator supplies verifier with final energy data, and emissions report which are then verified. Verifier writes draft Verification Opinion Statement (VOS).
- Technical Review
Independent review by another verifier who rechecks all of the data and gives overall approval of the draft VOS.
- Registry Compliance
Final VOS sent to operator who forwards to the Regulator. Operator proposes annual emissions total onto the Registry and verifier confirms total. Operator surrenders equivalent carbon allowances into compliance account.
Kiwa is accredited by UKAS for verification of greenhouse gas emissions under the EU ETS. We are also accredited to verify aircraft emissions for the French authorities. Our personnel have had decades of experience in auditing, verification and certification.