CE Marking Niche Products
We can test specialist items for which there are no standards (such as CE marking), and provide a third party statement of performance.
All building products covered by an EU harmonised standard will need to be tested and CE-marked. Where does this leave the host of miscellaneous ‘widgets’ often used in the construction industry, for which no appropriate standards exist? These widgets are typically highly specialist niche products.
In practice, architects and designers will often be calling for the use of only CE-marked products, because this is their simplest default position. Similarly, Building Control will be looking for some evidence that the product ‘does what it says on the tin’.
We are pleased to offer a solution. We can provide a 3rd party statement of performance which ticks all of the boxes. The statement will typically say:-
“Kiwa Ltd has assessed the claims for the Acme No 1 widget from Acme Ltd and can confirm that the claims regarding its widgetisation are justifiable and that the product has no Health and Safety issues when assessed against the Mechanical or other safety-related Directives. Kiwa also confirms that the product is currently outside of any existing harmonised standard.”
We would base such a statement upon some or all of the following:
- Our own assessment of the physical product and manufacturers’ claims
- 3rd party testwork
- Manufacturers’ own test work
- Field evidence
All of this information can be pulled together into a document that effectively proves the efficacy of the product.
Building Regulations, Materials and Workmanship 7, 2013 now says:
“Building work shall be carried out (a) with adequate and proper materials which - (i) are appropriate for the circumstances in which they are used, (ii) are adequately mixed or prepared, and (iii) are applied, used or fixed so as adequately to perform the functions for which they are designed; and (b) in a workmanlike manner.”
It then lists, effectively in decreasing order of desirability the following options:
- CE marking under the Construction Products Regulation (compulsory where existing harmonised standards exist)
- Other national and international technical specifications
- British Standards • Independent certification schemes
- Tests and calculations (3rd party accredited)
- Past experience
Who is this for?
Manufacturers and suppliers of
- chimney cowls
- chimney draught regulators
- flue gas heat recovery apparatus
- thermopile driven air fans
- chimineas / solid fuel BBQs / fire pits built into the fabric of new property
- grey water products
- other niche products for which there are currently no standards
Kiwa Ltd is a UK Notified Body under the Construction Products Directive, the Boiler Efficiency Directive, and the Gas Appliance Directive. Our sister companies are notified against a further range of Directives. Kiwa Statements such as this have been successfully accepted in a range of industries close to our core areas of expertise.