Gas Appliance Testing
We are happy to look at any gas-fired appliance and advise on its compliance with any appropriate European Directives.
The most common Directives we test to are:
- The Gas Appliance Directive (GAD - applies to almost all gas-fired appliances except some industrial applications
- The Boiler Efficiency Directive (BED) - applies to all domestic boilers (up to 70kW)
- The Low Voltage Directive (LVD) - applies to all gas-fired appliances carrying electrical components or controls
- The Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMC) - again, applies to all gas fired appliances containing electronics
- The ErP (Energy Related Products) Directive covering gas boilers comes into force in September 2015. In addition to the efficiency data confirmed under the BED/GAD, the ERP will also require proof of tapping cycles
We are also able to help you with approvals for North America. However, we always stress that this can be a complicated and costly set of approvals.
The list of appliances we test for our customers is impressive. It includes:
- Fires & stoves
- Heaters [radiant, overhead, patio, tabletop etc]
- Camping equipment
- Water Heaters
- Catering equipment
- Fuel cell mCHPO
- Sterling engine mCHP
We can provide all of your audit and product surveillance requirements, including assistance with establishing your quality management procedures.
Our engineers can test any part of a gas appliance in isolation, or as part of the appliance - pipes & fittings, valves, burners, manifolds, fans, flue terminals and switches.
Whatever your needs, we can probably help - even where no standard exists, we can carry out a risk assessment or create a meaningful performance assessment method.
Gas appliances are designed to operate with gas of a specific composition. The composition varies between countries. This diagram shows the composition range for European countries. Our 'Wobbe card' was offered at our stand at the recent SHFCA conference and proved very popular.
Who is this for?
Manufacturers and distributors of gas appliances destined for the European marketplace.
Since the early 90s we have been operating a gas appliance testing laboratory and now test the majority of gas fires, a significant proportion of gas boilers and a wide range of other gas-fired appliances on behalf of manufacturers and Trading Standards Officers and other governmental bodies.
Building upon our success with CE marking of gas appliances, for which we offer a complete service, we are constantly expanding and extending our offerings to include testing and certification of new technologies such as micro-CHP and thermal solar panel combinations.
Whilst we always apply the highest technical rigour to all that we do, indeed our UKAS accreditation demands this, we pride ourselves on bringing client-focus and confidentiality to all stages of your products development towards full compliance.
Many manufacturers benefit from our pre-test capabilities and, increasingly, involve us in early development stage testing. This is of particular benefit for emerging technologies where new standards are constantly being developed.